[plug] These prices are HOT

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Thu Nov 10 20:06:24 WST 2005

Thursday, 10 November 2005 19:21, Craig Foster wrote:
> > [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On Behalf Of Alex Nordstrom
> > The real cost of proprietary software is in the added
> > downtime, administrative overhead, data loss, &c caused by
> > their lack of reliability.

> I work in schools (properly set up schools) and Office 2003 almost
> never bjorks (unless the person is in offline mode), has little admin
> overhead as most settingss are managed by the ORK and group policy,
> has a detect and repair feature, and everybody has enough experience
> through other channels that I can do standard training instead of
> teaching the basics.

Sounds great (apart from offline mode troubles and needing a detect and
repair feature)! Can you teach MS Exchange to add proper In-Reply-To
and/or References headers to your e-mails too? ;)

Of course, you do realise that anecdotal evidence is not a very good
statistical indicator and that it fails to say much, if anything, about
risk, for example.

> The real cost of *ANY* software is added downtime, admin overhead,
> and user knowledge. Don't think it's just a MS problem. I believe
> that's why 90% of OSS is sub-par - they think they have an instant
> advantage over MS, because they are not MS.

Hence "added" (in comparison to less costly alternatives). The real cost
of *any* software is downtime and so on. Some have more than others.

The point I wanted to make is that too many Free software advocates
focus on purchase price, which is rather insignificant at the end of
the day.

The Free software development model has some inherent advantages over
closed-source software, which make the projects that manage to
capitalise on them better than their Microsoft counterparts, not
because Microsoft is Microsoft, but because they're a closed-source
operation.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/