[plug] These prices are HOT

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Thu Nov 10 19:21:04 WST 2005

LOL!

<rant>
I work in schools (properly set up schools) and Office 2003 almost never
bjorks (unless the person is in offline mode), has little admin overhead
as most settingss are managed by the ORK and group policy, has a detect
and repair feature, and everybody has enough experience through other
channels that I can do standard training instead of teaching the basics.

The real cost of *ANY* software is added downtime, admin overhead, and
user knowledge. Don't think it's just a MS problem. I believe that's why
90% of OSS is sub-par - they think they have an instant advantage over
MS, because they are not MS.

I'll be the first to admit that most school servers are Windows, but
I'll use whatevers best for the job. I have linux boxes doing content
filtering, web serving, non-essential DBs, and thin clients at most of
the sites.

</rant>

BTW I am aware the figures are skewed for schools with regards to MS
licensing...

<snip>

> --
> Alex Nordstrom
> http://lx.n3.net/
> Please do not CC me in followups; I am subscribed to plug.

Regards,

Craig Foster
RHCE