[plug] HDD Erasure

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Nov 13 00:11:04 WST 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Chris Watt wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just curious if there is any way to seriously wipe a HDD beyond the
> point of retreival by anyone?  As far as I'm aware it isn't possible
> without the pysical destruction of the drive.  If someone knows of
> something though?
>
> ~Chris

There used to be a switch for the PC-DOS format comand, which would
cause the format utility, after formatting a drive, to write a character
specified by the user, to each byte on the drive, so that, for example,
in using the command, a person could fill a HDD with the character '1',
from start to finish.

Perhaps, if an equivalent does not exist in any of the flavours of
Linux, a person could write such a script.

But I am sure that the CIA or the NSA or some other subversive
government agency, could find a way of retrieving data, unless a person
uses a blow torch to erase the data.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale