[plug] HDD Erasure

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Nov 13 03:49:46 WST 2005

On 12 Nov 2005 at 23:11, Chris Watt wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just curious if there is any way to seriously wipe a HDD beyond the
> point of retreival by anyone?  As far as I'm aware it isn't possible
> without the pysical destruction of the drive.  If someone knows of
> something though?

Most HDD manufacturers will provide disk utilities for download from
their web site.

The utility is made by Ontrack.

You will need to make a boot disk from the downloaded file - ( using a
Windows PC)

Then boot the PC from the boot disk - It has its own OS. (The latest
versions use Caldera DOS - I think)

It will provide you with a menu system to - Diagnose - Report - Erase the
disk - you will also be able to choose the number of times that each
sector is over written.

If the owner of the drive is _REALLY_ paranoid about the data on the
drive - just use a BIG hammer.

Current computer forensics and data recovery experts can now recover 60-
70% of data that has been over written up to eight times.

If you can't get the disk utility from the manufacturer - contact me off
list, let me know the : make, model and size of the HDD.

HTH

Regards Arie