[plug] HDD Erasure

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 09:25:06 WST 2005

At 10:26 AM 13/11/2005, bob wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:46, Aaron Wooten wrote:
> > Hi Chris, you may want to have a read of "Secure Deletion of Data from
> > Magnetic and Solid-State Memory" By Peter Gutmann

There is Heidi Eraser for Widows (www.heidi.ie/eraser) which has a
component that produces a "nuke boot disk" and options for the level of
erasure - number of passes, algorithms and suchlike.   We have been using
that (albeit in a Windows environment) successfully for several years for
shredding sensitive (i.e. medical) data.   Has canned algorithms for 35
passes of Gutmann as well as faster modes that apparently still satisfy US
DoD standards.

If nuking a disk for disposal though (in a previously-Windows machine) the
boot disk should address the issues others (Bob?) have raised with file
system erasure in-place.

HTH,
Denis