[plug] [OT] Transforming a technician run company

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Fri Nov 18 10:45:38 WST 2005

I'm sorry - I couldn't resist!!

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

>Friday, 18 November 2005 09:54, Alex Polglaze wrote:
>

>>Chris Caston wrote:
>>

>>>Off-topic seems to be used more for casual chitchat
>>>

>The OT list doesn't get used for discussions that people find
>interesting because not enough people are subscribed to it. Not enough
>people are subscribed to it because it doesn't get used for discussions
>that people find interesting. At some point, someone has to play the
>role of either the chicken or the egg.

Seems we have plenty of people who are chicken [to use the off-topic
list], so what we need is a few good eggs.

>>I don't read the OT list, I haven't got time, but I like the regular
>>list.
>>

>Funny, that's how some of us feel about OT threads on the main list. I
>haven't got the time.

Agree entirely.  More people should subscribe to both and the lists
should be used for what they are for.

Meanwhile, some simple mail filters would help solve the problem for
people who don't want to manually pick and choose what they read.

Off-topic into one folder to read later etc.

>> From my point of view, the list is made up of technical people, but
>>all of us have a life outside "techieville". Sometimes, the things
>>that interest us, interest others as well.
>>

>A lot of people like porn, but that doesn't mean one should post it to
>the list either.

Really.  Damn.

...I'm kidding!!!

--