[plug] [OT] Transforming a technician run company

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:55:04 WST 2005

On 11/18/05, Alex Nordstrom <lx at se.linux.org> wrote:
> Friday, 18 November 2005 09:54, Alex Polglaze wrote:
> > Chris Caston wrote:
> > > Off-topic seems to be used more for casual chitchat
>
> The OT list doesn't get used for discussions that people find
> interesting because not enough people are subscribed to it. Not enough
> people are subscribed to it because it doesn't get used for discussions
> that people find interesting. At some point, someone has to play the
> role of either the chicken or the egg.
>
> > I don't read the OT list, I haven't got time, but I like the regular
> > list.
>
> Funny, that's how some of us feel about OT threads on the main list. I
> haven't got the time.
>
> >  From my point of view, the list is made up of technical people, but
> > all of us have a life outside "techieville". Sometimes, the things
> > that interest us, interest others as well.
>
> A lot of people like porn, but that doesn't mean one should post it to
> the list either.

The off topic list was created so we could respect everyone's rights
to not having crap they're not interested in flooding their inbox.
I have rules setup for the off-topic@ list and rules for the plug@
list. I am subscribed to both but access e-mails from them very
differently.
The concept of not hitting your target audience so deciding to
shortcut the policies and post to a list it doesn't belong in is just
like the telemarketers saying "we don't ring during business hours
because people aren't home, we ring after hours when people are
relaxing and having dinner because we know they'll be there to
answer".

If I'm not interested in answering when you post to off-topic@ then
I'm not going to be interested in answering when you post again in
plug@, whats next you come to my door and ask me??

We start allowing off topic in this list and it loses it's potency.
People will unplug from the list because it's no longer the focus they
were after namely,  Locally focused technical support and advice for
Linux and Open Source Software.

Having said that. I'm not the boss of you nor the list and I'm just
voicing a friendly opinion as a member of this community.
--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
CNet News.com: So that would be the philosophical difference between