[plug] Possible faults in Mandriver 2006

John and Susan Foster johnfoster at aapt.net.au
Sat Nov 19 03:29:43 WST 2005

I have this month installed Mandriver 2006 (4 CD's).

Things that worked on Mandrake 10.1 do not work.
Faults identified to date are:
1    Kmail will not send or receive;
2    There is apparently a fault in the mouse pointer in some menus on the screen;
3    The upgrade package manager does not work properly.

Somewhere in trying to get something going, while in terminal command mode, I got a message to say that I had release 2006 (official) for i586 and Kernal 2.6.12-12mdk on an i686/tty1.

If the kernal works only on an i686, then the problem could be down to my pentium which is an Intell Pentium III (coppermine) Family 6 stepping 3 etc.

I checked the relevant web site published by Mandriver.
They say release 2006 is Ok for Pentiums but not for 486, 386 etc. They expressly mention Pentum 4, 5 etc. But not Pentium 1, 2 or 3 (mine). So I find this a bit ambiguous if not confusing.

Does anybody know about these things?

PS
Incidentally, I tried initially to upgrade to Mandriver 2006 from Mandrake 10.1. This had even more problems than my installation.

Thanks
John Foster