[plug] Possible faults in Mandriver 2006

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Fri Nov 18 12:50:49 WST 2005

Quoting John and Susan Foster <johnfoster at aapt.net.au>:

> I have this month installed Mandriver 2006 (4 CD's).
>
> Things that worked on Mandrake 10.1 do not work.
> Faults identified to date are:
> 1    Kmail will not send or receive;
> 2    There is apparently a fault in the mouse pointer in some menus on the
> screen;
> 3    The upgrade package manager does not work properly.
>
> Somewhere in trying to get something going, while in terminal command mode, I
> got a message to say that I had release 2006 (official) for i586 and Kernal
> 2.6.12-12mdk on an i686/tty1.
>
> If the kernal works only on an i686, then the problem could be down to my
> pentium which is an Intell Pentium III (coppermine) Family 6 stepping 3 etc.
>
> I checked the relevant web site published by Mandriver.
> They say release 2006 is Ok for Pentiums but not for 486, 386 etc. They
> expressly mention Pentum 4, 5 etc. But not Pentium 1, 2 or 3 (mine). So I
> find this a bit ambiguous if not confusing.
>
> Does anybody know about these things?
>
> PS
> Incidentally, I tried initially to upgrade to Mandriver 2006 from Mandrake
> 10.1. This had even more problems than my installation.
>
> Thanks
> John Foster

A pentium3 is a kind of i686. As is a pentium-pro, pentium2, pentium4, etc etc..
So an i586 or i686 kernel will work fine on a pentium3. If they compile for
i586, then it will not work on a 486 or 386 machine. They say pentium meaning
all pentium class machines are okay (and yours falls on the higher end of that
category).

With regards to your other problems, I'd recommend also giving us details on
what you've done (even how you launch the application) as well as the error
messages it is giving you. Eg. "Cannot contact server blah.mailserver.com" is
much easier to diagnose than saying "It doesn't work".

Regards,
Tomasz