[plug] help needed with Ubuntu screen resolution

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 20 17:10:56 WST 2005

Hi, I need help with Ubuntu on my laptop. I was having problems with
SuSE 10 booting erratically - and it took a loooooonnnnnng time, so I
decided to try something else.

Now this laptop has an LCD screen (big surprise), and
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file only has modes for 1024x768 (which is
correct), but Ubuntu come up in 800x600, and the Ubuntu Gnome desktop
offers me the marvellous choice of 800x600 or 640x480 - Where can I
change this stupid behaviour?  (when I installed Ubuntu on a desktop
machine, I was offered the choice of setting the desktop resolution, but
for some reason I don't get it on the lappy)

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not
 imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed
 at Columbus, they laughed at Edison, they laughed at the
 Wright brothers but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
            -- Carl Sagan

Linux Counter user #306629