[plug] SuSE

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Mon Nov 21 13:58:10 WST 2005

Quoting Stuart Midgley <stuart.midgley at ivec.org>:

> I tend to disagree with the comment "It's all Linux".  Yes, they all
> use the same kernel but that's about it.  They diverge widely.  SuSE
> is about as close to Gentoo as it is to IRIX.
>
> We use SuSE on our 160cpu SGI Altix 3700Bx2 and I've administered it
> on the 1680 cpu system in Canberra.  It is (now) the only linux SGI
> support on the Altix systems.  Over all it is VERY good, I recommend
> it to anyone.
>
> SuSE tends to have a very aggressive kernel maintenance system.  They
> have modules in their kernel that no other linux has (Lustre, Job,
> cpusets) and tend to work very closely with vendors (eg. SGI).  It is
> an excellent linux with good hardware support.  Some of the kernel
> tuning they have done is also very good and can give much higher IO
> throughput than most other distros.
>
> On the down side is YAST... complete piece of crap.  I end up having
> to write all my own init script that do what I want.  SuSE have gone
> over board with their configuration stuff.
>
> Well, hang on, let me clarrify that.  If you are happy staying
> entirely within yast, you are fine, it appears to work very well.  If
> you change anything outside of yast, then you can't ever run yast
> again...
>
> Stu.
>

> --
> Dr Stuart Midgley
> Industry Uptake Program Leader
> iVEC, 'The hub of advanced computing in Western Australia'
> 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Technology Park
> Kensington WA 6151
> Australia
>
> Phone: +61 8 6436 8545
> Fax: +61 8 6436 8555
> Email: industry at ivec.org
> WWW:  http://www.ivec.org

Like I said, not flame-bait. I've worked with about 15 different distros and its
my opinion that they all generally work the same (eg. /etc is configuration stuff..)

You may find it different -- certainly when the only Linux I knew was Redhat I
thought the others... very alien when I first started moving around distroland.