[plug] SOHO security and multiple LANs

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Nov 21 14:50:05 WST 2005

Hello,

I'm interested in comments on the following scheme for a SOHO setup.
There is an ADSL modem/router dishing out IPs on 192.168.1.x and each
machine is plugged into this via cat5.

Each machine also has a second nic with the IP statically assigned in
the range of 10.1.1.x. This is for the local LAN and internal (unexposed
to the internet) servers (eg file servers and local VOIP PABX) and are
all connected via a 16 port switch.

Each machine also has a software firewall. I won't go into details right
now but the 192.168.1.x LAN is treated with much more suspicion than the
10.1.1.x LAN.

If a interface on the 10.1.1.x LAN starts sending out strange traffic it
may be blocked.

Comments?

It's not a real implementation so if you ask me for more details I will
imagine them up for you ;)

regards,

Chris