[plug] SOHO security and multiple LANs

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 21 15:08:53 WST 2005

This doesnt sound very efficient or seem to give any advantages (the
separation you are trying to make seems useless - all machines have both
nodes from your description).  Worse, one compromised machine gets to
your secure network, and essentially all machines are exposed via the
insecure connections.  It is better to minimise the exposure area, not
make it multiple machines wide.

Use a switch, a single network and monmotha or shorewall on a gateway
machine between the LAN and the ADSL modem (modify it to make it
function the way you want).  That way traffic you want local stays
local, and only outside traffic is routed in/out.  If you need internet
facing services, use a DMZ.  Exposure to internet traffic is much more
managable this way which is why its a very common configuration.

Lastly, one run of cable to each machine will be cheaper.

BillK