[plug] help needed with Ubuntu screen resolution

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 23 13:34:16 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 19:17 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> I've found certain video drivers have an autodetect mode (I had this
> problem with SUSE actually) that attempts to guess what resolution /
> refresh rate etc your monitor uses or something. What kind of video
> driver does your laptop use? I think I stumbled across this when I
> checked the man page for some intel video card driver... It was the i810
> from memory and..
>
>   Option "DDC" "boolean"
>                Disable or enable DDC support.  Default: enabled.
>
> I had to set this to false. Perhaps that is your trouble?
>
> Tomasz
>
> Richard Meyer wrote:
> > Hi, I need help with Ubuntu on my laptop. I was having problems with
> > SuSE 10 booting erratically - and it took a loooooonnnnnng time, so I
> > decided to try something else.
> >
> > Now this laptop has an LCD screen (big surprise), and
> > the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file only has modes for 1024x768 (which is
> > correct), but Ubuntu come up in 800x600, and the Ubuntu Gnome desktop
> > offers me the marvellous choice of 800x600 or 640x480 - Where can I
> > change this stupid behaviour?  (when I installed Ubuntu on a desktop
> > machine, I was offered the choice of setting the desktop resolution, but
> > for some reason I don't get it on the lappy)

Just in case anybody else had this problem, I managed to solve it by
running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", which is not exactly
intuitive, but I got it off the Ubuntu support forums, so I can't
complain.

I can now run on a full 1024x768 instead of on a tiny subset in the
middle of my screen.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
   --Philip K. Dick

Linux Counter user #306629