[plug] Modem disconnects

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 28 17:32:04 WST 2005

Ok, here's another oddball reason.  The machine would disconnect  at
first dial attempt, or at ~40 mins thereafter.

At one time in the prehistoric past, someone posted a message to plug
list about a problem using the AT hangup string.  He put the actual text
command in the email.  I replied to this email and at this point I
started to get these weird symptoms.  It took some days of frustration,
iinet checks, telstra checking the line before I noticed that a line in
the log about postfix not being able to send an email: so while waiting
for the next 40min timeout, I decided to see what was queued - as soon
as I saw the hangup string in the message I put 2 and 2 together ...
postfix tried to send after ppp connected, hangup.  Postfix waits 40
mins if I redial immediately, then hangup.  Fun!

It turns out, some cheaper modems can interpret some AT type text
commands in outgoing (only!) emails as configuration commands with dire
results.

Is there anything in your logs?

BillK