[plug] Modem disconnecting

doodli doodli at beagle.com.au
Tue Nov 29 10:30:04 WST 2005

simon wrote:
 > Mark J Gaynor (mark at mjg.id.au) wrote:
 >> across the line, this may be the cause. Some phones charge a
capacitor from
 >> the line and this causes disruption to pppd and usually long enough
to time
 >> out.
 >
 > Seconded. Ive seen really weird stuff happen with phones or other things
 > attached to the same line as a modem, especially the crappy old T-200s.

Nothing else on the line. Had earlier trouble with same ISP , answering
but having insufficient pops to connect. Me thinkth this as Shannon
Carver  wrote, "its out of my hands." ISP is suppose to have a four hour
soft limit but seems strange disconnect happens anytime between
20minutes to 4 hours, about 16 disconnects under 2 weeks, all terminated
with same error/message. Tried other ISP (Bigpond) no problems and no
disconnects.
ISP claims my end is hanging up so out of his hands. Back to Westnet at
end of month could be the answer to this and other problems.
Thanks to all that helped and applause for any that can come up with the
right answer.
Wally