[plug] Modem disconnecting

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at exadios.com
Tue Nov 29 12:33:21 WST 2005

Hi Wally;

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, doodli wrote:

> simon wrote:
>  > Mark J Gaynor (mark at mjg.id.au) wrote:
>  >> across the line, this may be the cause. Some phones charge a
> capacitor from
>  >> the line and this causes disruption to pppd and usually long enough
> to time
>  >> out.
>  >
>  > Seconded. Ive seen really weird stuff happen with phones or other things
>  > attached to the same line as a modem, especially the crappy old T-200s.
>
> Nothing else on the line. Had earlier trouble with same ISP , answering
> but having insufficient pops to connect. Me thinkth this as Shannon
> Carver  wrote, "its out of my hands." ISP is suppose to have a four hour
> soft limit but seems strange disconnect happens anytime between
> 20minutes to 4 hours, about 16 disconnects under 2 weeks, all terminated
> with same error/message. Tried other ISP (Bigpond) no problems and no
> disconnects.
> ISP claims my end is hanging up so out of his hands. Back to Westnet at
> end of month could be the answer to this and other problems.
> Thanks to all that helped and applause for any that can come up with the
> right answer.
> Wally

Its been many years since I've used a dialup. But, when I was using them,
I used to find that there was a problem with some ISPs responding to
LCP Echo Requests. For some ISPs it was not uncommon for them to miss
one request and occasionally three consecutive requests. From memory the
default behavior of pppd is to terminate if it misses replies to three
consecutive requests. This caused symptoms similar to those you have
described.

As a matter of course I used to bump my 'lcp-echo-failure' setting from
the default to something like 10 and set the lcp-echo-interval to 30. I
think you should try this.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw, http://www.exadios.com, ICQ 75431157 (exadios).