[plug] Printer Questions

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:28:50 WST 2005

This is a little late (cause stuff is printing atm). But for future reference...
Firstly, how can I get lpr to tell the printer how many copies, rather
than lpr submitting 40 copies of the same document?
(I.e. The brother printer can be told I want this document done X
times and IT does the extra copy handling, seeing as it has the power
too...)

Also. I'm printing 40 copies, of an 8 page ps file (double side so 4
pages at a time).
So 'lpr -#40 file.ps'
I've noticed that the printer must be doing the post script rendering
cause it takes time between pages, rather than the usually 12ppm, it
seems to be pausing for 1/2s between pages (as in, enough time for the
motor to stop spinning). Normally (i.e. a webpage) it prints all the
pages really fast. I think this is cause it's ps and not cause it's a
large file (there is enough memory on the printer to hold the whole
document at once...)
Is there a way to get the computer to do 'pre rendering' so that the
printer goes faster?

Thanks

Tim