[plug] Old Linux within new linux

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Fri Oct 7 09:24:09 WST 2005

Hi,

 this might seem like an odd request, but here goes.

 I am helping support some software which was designed and implemented
under SuSE 8.1, along with whatever kernel, gcc, mysql libs etc that
were default with its installation.  Previously, I simply had my laptop
run a version of SuSE 8.1, and maintained any software changes under
this environment.  Unfortunately, this laptop died, and I got a new one
:)  But I am having trouble setting up SuSE linux 8.1 on this machine (
I am thinking its because of the HDD size, sometimes it reads the
partition table and detects /dev/hda, usually it fails ).

 What I was hoping was run something a bit more recent ( SuSE 9.3 eg ),
but still be able to access a development environment which is of the
likes of SuSE 8.1 - all I need to do under this environment is compile
code.

 Anyone have suggestions ? Maybe something like a virtual linux host ?
Maybe tool-chain/cross compile ?  Could I just use a newer kernel for
SuSE 8.1 ?

 Of course the right thing to do would be to bring the system I am
supporting to a more recent version of software so its easier -
unfortunately this system is in operation and we can't risk making major
changes and disrupting it.

 Cheers

 Paul Arch