[plug] Old Linux within new linux

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 7 10:03:08 WST 2005

Paul Arch <paul at sdmgroup.com.au> writes:

>I am helping support some software which was designed and implemented
>under SuSE 8.1, along with whatever kernel, gcc, mysql libs etc that
>were default with its installation.  Previously, I simply had my laptop
>run a version of SuSE 8.1, and maintained any software changes under
>this environment.  Unfortunately, this laptop died, and I got a new one
>:)  But I am having trouble setting up SuSE linux 8.1 on this machine (
>I am thinking its because of the HDD size, sometimes it reads the
>partition table and detects /dev/hda, usually it fails ).

>What I was hoping was run something a bit more recent ( SuSE 9.3 eg ),
>but still be able to access a development environment which is of the
>likes of SuSE 8.1 - all I need to do under this environment is compile
>code.

Is this a matter of GCC being too advanced on SuSE 9.3?

If so, you can build an older version of GCC to sit alongside of the
new one on 9.3.

The new kernel should support the new application. In order to use
the older version library interfaces, set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 in
the environment of the running process. I'd be surprised if the
original application didn't run with that.

>Of course the right thing to do would be to bring the system I am
>supporting to a more recent version of software so its easier -
>unfortunately this system is in operation and we can't risk making
>major changes and disrupting it.

I hope that you brought all the patches for the 2.4 kernel and
libraries into the 8.1 system. If not, then that also presents a
potential risk.

BTW: OpenSuSE 10.0 is now "live" on most of the usual mirror sites.

You should seriously consider starting to port to 9.3 or 10.0. 8.1
is very long in the tooth. IIRC, SuSE stopped shipping patches for
8.1 over a year ago.