[plug] Re: Kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4

luca trifelli luca at trifelli.id.au
Fri Oct 7 10:38:04 WST 2005

Craig,

I've reinstalled the kernel by using up2date and it kept freezing again.
I didn't notice any kernel panic and I could ping the host from another
PC, but I could not access any service such as HTTP, SMTP, etc...
Nvidia doesn't have a driver ready for this kernel version yet and I
didn't try to build it as suggested on their installation instructions
yet.
I've noticed that the up2date was installing the i686 version of the
kernel and there is also a i586 version available for download.
Therefore I've decided to try to install i586 on my PC to see if it would
make any difference.
Well
. it seams to make some difference because my system is not freezing
now.
My CPU is an Athlon ™ 1400 Mhz and the /proc/cpuinfo is showing “cpu
family: 6”,
therefore the i686 should be the right version for it, isn’t?

Thanks, Luca