[plug] Re: Kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 7 11:17:59 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 10:38 +0800, luca trifelli wrote:

> I've reinstalled the kernel by using up2date and it kept freezing again.
> I didn't notice any kernel panic and I could ping the host from another
> PC, but I could not access any service such as HTTP, SMTP, etc...

In my experience that often means the kernel is running, but userspace
is kaput (eg can't fork processes, total memory exhaustion, critical
disk failure, or some similar condition).

> Nvidia doesn't have a driver ready for this kernel version yet and I
> didn't try to build it as suggested on their installation instructions
> yet.

So you're running X with the `nv' driver ?

Before anyone yells "the nvidia driver is proprietary and evil and
unreliable" ... sure, I'd prefer to have the source. OTOH, I love my
RENDER acceleration *hugs* and I've found it dead stable for years.

> I've noticed that the up2date was installing the i686 version of the
> kernel and there is also a i586 version available for download.
> Therefore I've decided to try to install i586 on my PC to see if it would
> make any difference.
> Well…. it seams to make some difference because my system is not freezing
> now.
> My CPU is an Athlon ™ 1400 Mhz and the /proc/cpuinfo is showing “cpu
> family: 6”,
> therefore the i686 should be the right version for it, isn’t?

That's right, i686 should be just fine. If you're getting crashes on the
i686 version and not the i586 version I suggest filing a bug on the
Fedora bugzilla, with as much detail about the issue as you can provide.
It's not impossible that it's a problem that's been introduced by some
other recent change. You'll need to do things like look at the system
logs to see if you can see anything interesting from when the system
crashed, too.

--
Craig Ringer