[plug] How dell supports linux

Rod bwarff at obsidian.com.au
Fri Oct 7 16:13:18 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 16:00 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 10/7/05, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Lest anyone accuse Dell of supporting Linux, here is some interesting
> > observations on how they do it:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/dell_open_pc/
> > Me shakes my head again at the ways of the world...
>
> That chat log at the end is stunning...
> Dell have always been  and will always be box droppers.
> Do don't care two figs about software, but why o why the "OS Free"
> boxes are the same price as the "MS Infected" Boxes I have no idea.
> Perhaps a bug in the release of a new product?

thats not correct to my understanding.. dell wants to make profit, not
sell boxes per se.

'corporate partnerships' are ways that the big boys keep eachother safe,
and make life hard for the competition.. in this case.. microsoft sells
bulk windows to dell cheap, so dell has an advantage over other
suppliers.. dell's part of the deal is to only sell microsoft.... or in
this case, not take selling competitors to microsoft seriously.