[plug] Kismet

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 8 00:29:50 WST 2005

I've been playing with kismet on my [recently updated to cooker]
Centrino powered laptop. Thought I'd share how it went..

It is using a Mdk 2.6.12 kernel, and I had read that some monitor mode
additions were made in 2.6.13... But I had been assuming I'd have to use
an orinoco based card to get monitor mode.

After much trial and error, I found kismet plays nicely using the
builtin IPW2100 wireless card, using the Mdk kernel..

Much joy.

I found the orinoco silver card happily working at the same time too,
but there was a little trap.. If you set the orinoco card up after
starting kismet, it drops the default gw [using the orinoco card] out
after a little while.. But if you start the routed card first, they seem
to play nicely... 8^)===

So you can kismet on one wireless card and internet on the other at the
same time. I didn't know that was possible.

Another trap [for kismet newbies like me] is that kismet won't start if
the *nominated user* can't write to the cwd of the root terminal
session... It says it can't write to a dumpfile.. [You start kismet as
root and it drops back to a nominated user.]

Garry