[plug] Power down on halt

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Mon Oct 10 16:21:29 WST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Jim Householder wrote:
>

>> Thanks Craig and Shannon.
>> The computer was purchased new about 2 years ago.
>> The yum upgrade installed kernel 2.6.12-1.1456-FC4.
>> The grep yielded:
>

> [snip]
>
> That's interesting, as it clearly shows that ACPI has been enabled and
> is in use. My system is much the same vintage. I've had no issues at all
> with poweroff - it all works as expected.
>
> If you shut down using "poweroff" (this will signal init to do a clean
> shutdown, it won't just power off the system) does that cut the power to
> the system at the end of shutdown?

Further testing has revealed that 'poweroff' works fine.  'halt' fails
to power down for both user and root, and 'shutdown -h now' is
restricted to root but works.

When I installed FC4 I set SELinux to 'warn' to see what it did not like
about the system.  I have since disabled it.

/etc/security/console.apps has a file 'halt' containing:
FALLBACK=true

Relevant?

For now I have made 'halt' an alias of 'poweroff' (easier to type...).

Thanks
Jim