[plug] Problem with X

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Oct 11 22:27:11 WST 2005

Hi all

I'm running SUSE 9.3 w/ all updates and during the last few days, when
accessing some sites with Firefox 1.0.7 (RPM says
MozillaFirefox-1.0.7-0.1 & MozillaFirefox-translations-1.0.7-0.1), I get
a condition where X starts to "spin".

ie, it will not accept any keyboard or mouse commands (alt, ctl, Backsp
or alt, ctl, Del or Alt-Fx). I can ssh in from another machine, and
running top shows CPU sitting at 100% with X consuming 95-100% - music
still plays (xmms with Virgin Classic via internet)

This occurs when choosing a bookmarked URL (so far), not always the same
URl, and they load again fine later - and it's not repeatable.

Any ideas on how to get more info ...

.. and to get out of it, I have to "kill -9 'X'", where 'X' is the pid
of X

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Linux Counter user #306629