[plug] Problem with X

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Wed Oct 12 09:11:11 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:27 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> I'm running SUSE 9.3 w/ all updates and during the last few days, when
> accessing some sites with Firefox 1.0.7 (RPM says
> MozillaFirefox-1.0.7-0.1 & MozillaFirefox-translations-1.0.7-0.1), I get
> a condition where X starts to "spin".
>
> ie, it will not accept any keyboard or mouse commands (alt, ctl, Backsp
> or alt, ctl, Del or Alt-Fx). I can ssh in from another machine, and
> running top shows CPU sitting at 100% with X consuming 95-100% - music
> still plays (xmms with Virgin Classic via internet)
>
> This occurs when choosing a bookmarked URL (so far), not always the same
> URl, and they load again fine later - and it's not repeatable.
>
> Any ideas on how to get more info ...
>
> .. and to get out of it, I have to "kill -9 'X'", where 'X' is the pid
> of X

Are you running KDE or Gnome?

I am also running SuSe 9.3 (about to try out 10) and I run KDE.

Never had this problem - my versions of Mozilla-Firefox are the same.
1.07-0.1

I'd suggest removing Mozilla-Firefox - and use just Mozilla or Konqueror
- to see if the problem persists. If not you'll probably need to go with
1.06 release.

--
Cheers,

Ranz