[plug] Good RAID Howto

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Oct 12 22:21:25 WST 2005

With the MegaRAID cards (thats what you've got isn't it?) you can expand
the RAID5 array whilst it's online.  It will take a while to do
(especially with the default priority) - meaning it could easily take a
day or so.  BUT, you have to do it with the Global Array Manager
software from LSI Logic, you can't do it from the BIOS interface.  So
you'll have to install the server software for that on Linux, and then
install the client software on a Windows box to connect to it and manage it.

You will have to reboot the box for the OS to see the increased size of
the "physical" disk it sees (i.e. the RAID5 array) more than likely.
Then you can resize the filesystem, but you MUST umount it to do this.
Depending on how you've got the disk configuration setup, and which
partition you want to resize... it may not be easily possible to resize
it though.  You may just have to create new partitions, which you could
mount under particular large group shares depending on where your disk
usage is going etc. obviously.

HTH. :)

/ Ben