[plug] Good RAID Howto

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Wed Oct 12 13:03:32 WST 2005

OK, forgot all that...yesterday arvo I told everyone to go home a bit
early, rebooted the file server and had a look. We're running RAID5
across three disks and the hardware RAID config only allows two options,
RAID5 or RAID0. So much for having ideas about using RAID 1 on the new
disks.

As mentioned before, although I understand the principle of RAID I've
never configured it before, last night's look at the hardware RAID
config menu's didn't look all that friendly.

The RAID config see's the new disks as being in the READY state but I'd
have to initialise them, format them (?) and allocate them as RAID5 from
RAID BIOS to have them available to play with using mdadm once in CLI ?

Any feedback is appreciated !

Thanks
Kai