[plug] DFI Motherboards - Sound

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 16 09:09:30 WST 2005

Phillip Kilby wrote:
> I think AMD is mainly let down by the motherboards these days. My cpu
> also had a few cooling problems before I added the sk97 copper brick.
> I notice with my system in particular, that RAM, northbridge chip and
> video were the two contributing failures. well I fixed the northbridge
> by putting a cpu heatsink on it, ram is running slower now, and video
> has the old athlon cpu heatsink as well. So far so good. Just think
> its stupid that I had to go to all this trouble to get a stable
> system. Although in some ways I also learned a lot.

I have cooling difficulties with AMD 32 bit processors nearly all the
time.  I happened upon some now discontinued Thermaltake hs/fans which
are fantastic for AMD.  Added them to 3 machines (2400+, 2500+ 3200+)
and brought their temps down from 60°+ to between 27° and 33°.

My son's 64 bit Athlon (can't remember the model, but lower end) runs
below 30° all the time when not overclocked.  However, he's a teenager,
so it's now well and truly overclocked (over 2,600GHz I believe), and
the water cooling kit sits on his desk awaiting installation!

> I do believe AMD are doing this to stay competative though, they want
> the same bang for buck, if not better, in order to get equivilent
> sales. Intel's built a reputation for quality and AMD, even with their
> current very high quality x2 and 64 cpu's, can't swing thrings around
> over night... All because a lot of other people got sick of the huge
> cooling requirements or instability in the past. In my case, I almost
> went intel because I was so dissapointed with the k6-2 compared to the
> cheaper and better Celeron. I was like woo, 350mhz k62, and others
> were like: w00t celeron 333A @ 600mhz with stock cooling...

I must admit, I was very impressed with my two K6/2-350 machines.  To a
large extent it's more about what sort of work you want to do, like
gaming, compiling, databases etc.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!