[plug] Time speeding up...

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 09:12:36 WST 2005

On 10/17/05, Mike Holland <myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > Sunday, 16 October 2005 21:10, Senectus . wrote:
> >
> >>For some odd reason the time on my PC is speeding up.. I seem to gain
> >>about an hour and a half a day without reboots..
> >>Any idea what might cause that?
> >

> > A fast clock.
>
> A _very_ fast clock! Use 'hwclock' to check if the hardware RTC
> (realtime clock) is OK.
>
> > Install ntp.
>
> Does that adjust the speed, or just make very frequent corrections?
> (producing timestamps out of order)
> Will it continue to work without an internet connection (once calibrated) ?

OK after a bit of messing around I set it to:
hwclock --set --localtime --date="10/17/05 08:53:05"

now when I check it, it says:
Mon 17 Oct 2005 09:09:39 WST  -0.674106 seconds

We'll see how it goes..
Interestingly enough, after I set that I had to change the settings in
the GUI manually.. as the time was still out.

I'll check it later today to see what happens..
Thanks

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
CNet News.com: So that would be the philosophical difference between