[plug] Securing Redhat 9.0

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Oct 19 11:32:58 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 10:39 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Indeed. Whitelisting simply wouldn't work at most companies - there are
> way too many "legit" business-related reasons to be browsing around.
> Additionally, letting staff do a bit of 'net banking etc seems to really
> help a lot in terms of less grumpy staff, so long as they don't take it
> too far.

Most places I've been at the knowledge that 'someone" has access to logs
that say where you've been and what you've been doing have kept people
relatively honest. A modest amount of internet banking, looking up the
cricket scores, etc all go toward making the workers happier. What tends
to PO most people is being treated like a baby - that makes them WANT to
circumvent the restrictions and leads to an adversarial relationship. Of
course 10% of EVERY workforce will abuse the system and make a mess for
everybody, but ....

You DO have an internet policy, don't you? Without it, it's difficult to
act against the people who access the bestiality sites on company time,
on the company $. Most companies, have an understandable reluctance to
have the company name associated with such.
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Linux Counter user #306629