[plug] samba auth problem

Bennett, Phillip Phillip.Bennett at bestroads.com.au
Mon Oct 24 13:03:12 WST 2005

Hi all,

I have installed samba and winbind this morning to allow NT permissions
on the linux box I'm using (work requirement), but have run into a very
weird problem.

First of all, it all _looks_ like it's working.  I can do 'wbinfo -u'
and 'wbinfo -g' and it works fine.  I can also use 'getent passwd' and
'getent group' to return the correct users and groups.

The only problem is that I can't get samba to use the NT usernames and
groups on shares I've created.  My smb.conf file is attahed for
reference.

Basically, if it's public it works.  But as soon as I slap on a 'valid
users' or 'write list' directive on a share, it stops working properly.
It just denies access.  I've tried users and I've tried groups, both
with no luck.  Is there something I might be missing somewhere?  I was
going to try and allow NT logins on the box, but without this, I doubt
it'll work at all.  It just seems to be unable to authenticate using
samba/winbind.  ALL of the tests I have found to verify if it is working
properly succeed.  Why would this one thing not work?

Even just a log to look at would be nice.  So far, there is nothing I
can see that tells me there is anything wrong...

Can anyone help with this?  I'm going out of my mind!

TIA,
Phil.

Phillip Bennett

IT Support