[plug] Linux Desktop Market

Chris Watt something.rotten at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:59:15 WST 2005

Hi Guys,

Reading reports and what not of the hindered rise of Linux as a viable
desktop option to the standard home user, I was thinking to myself the
ability of it to go down in Australia.

What I'm curious about finding out from people (probably in the
archives, but fresh conversation is essential in this industry) is
whether or not people on this list, as professionals in the IT
industry believe that desktops and laptops with Linux preinstalled and
configured for best use of the system would fly as a retail product.

I read a lot about Linux installed systems selling at higher prices
than Windowze installed systems and fail to see any connection
(besides the ever watchful eyes of MS Corp) to the price of the system
+ software to sale setup.

So, does anyone think that a company could be founded on the ability
to offer premium computers (so computers ready for the internet,
office apps, etc.) could be sold to the public or do you think there
are still factors hindering the adoption of this system, esp. by
schools, seniors and first time users?

~Chris