[plug] Linux Desktop Market

Peter Tran intra at sonnet-tech.com.au
Mon Oct 24 15:39:30 WST 2005

The fight for the desktop market will be a very long a gruesome battle I
believe, Microsoft has the market cornered and unfortunately we would need
to see a few more generations before any real Linux adoption is to take
place.

People don't like change, corporates even more so.

If you could draw up a watertight advantages vs. disadvantages chart and
cover things such as conversion of MS Office documents to a format in Linux
and then reconverting it back to a format for other people to use. Support
Costs, Software Costs, Hardware Costs. You might stand a chance.

Unless you have an avid Linux person on site (most small businesses ->
medium businesses don't) it would be a rather hard sell.

Pete.