[plug] Linux Desktop Market, office interoperability

simon simon at chrome64.org
Mon Oct 24 17:01:31 WST 2005

Kirk Turner (gameldar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Microsoft has publicly stated that it does not plan to support
> OpenDocument. Its stated rationale is that OpenDocument is missing
> some important functionality. Many are very sceptical of this claim

If I were them I wouldnt support it either.

As soon as they did, theyd lose a large part of their customer lock in. In
terms of functionality that people use, OOo is competitive with Office, and
free. End users dont care about the OS. All MS have to rely upon is aggressive
lock-in contracts with vendors, and customer lock-in via proprietary protocols
and file formats.

--
Simon Scott
simon at chrome64.org