[plug] Migrating from kernel 2.4.x to 2.6.x

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 25 06:10:12 WST 2005

When I started self-compiling kernels, nearly always the reason it
panicked on me was because I either forgot to compile in the controller
card for the IDE interface or the filesystem of the root device (be it
ext3, reiserfs...).

With a precompiled kernel, I would double check that if those options
aren't compiled in, that the initrd has them otherwise it'll panic. I
would find it hard for example to mount /dev/sda3 as a reiserfs
filesystem if I didn't know about reiserfs!

Tomasz