[plug] Migrating from kernel 2.4.x to 2.6.x

Meryon Montgomery monts at westnet.com.au
Mon Oct 24 19:37:43 WST 2005

Hi all,  Just a quick question, I have a server running debian sarge
and the 2.4.x series kernel. The machine in question is equipped with
SATA drives and whenever I try to transition to a 2.6.x (2.6.8 I think)
kernel, i always get kernel panic. I've tried  changing the drive
settings in menu.lst, fstab and mtab from hda to sda and so forth. Is
there anything else to try?

I've done a fair bit of googling but nothing thats turned up has worked.

Thanks Monts