[plug] Time to replace palm m130?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 25 20:30:35 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 16:20, Ashley Jennings wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Yesterday, I bought a new Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 of ebay for AU$220
> total including postage.
>
> here is the ebay zaurus listing
> http://search.ebay.com.au/zaurus_W0QQflocZ1QQfromZR8QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsaslcZ2QQsbrsrtZl
>
> the seller was outletmp3 and has put up about 8 at once each month for
> the past two months, although none are listed by them now.
>
> I chose the zaurus because by doing a Pocketworkstation install,
> provides a full Debian GNU/Linux OS with access to the complete apt
> cache(last i heard 14000 packages).
> http://wiki.debian.org/PocketWorkstation
>
> Zaurus details here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaurus
>
> With the SDRAM and Compact Flash ports I am looking to enable wireless
> through an addon card to provide connectivity.
>
> The Zaurus has an active Free Software community and the SL-5500 is
> the most common model and from current info it seems has the least
> configuration or compatibility problems with software or
> configuration.
>
> I'm looking for wireless cards which work "out the box" with the 5500.
> Can anyone recommend one they are happy with?
>

> GNUooviness in the pocket :-)
>
> Ashley
> http://gumnut.sf.net/

Ashley,

This looks very interesting and I am a little jealous now that you are
getting a PDA (on what appears to be better hardware) running Linux for
only about $40 more than what I paid for mine running PalmOS.

I might get one later but I really needed the Palm today and will
migrate all my data across tonight.

Is there a stylus based Zaurus model?

regards,

Chris