[plug] Linux Desktop Market

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Wed Oct 26 15:12:56 WST 2005

Wednesday, 26 October 2005 14:52, John Knight wrote:
> > The world runs on evolution. Practices that don't live up to the
> > environment in which they are being employed are bound to be
> > survived by fitter practices.
>
> Like Linux? It needn't be a dodo... it's on the rise, but it needs to
> evolve too.....

Change does not necessarily imply evolution.

> > Probably because they fail to realise that downloading and
> > installing stuff from here, there, and everywhere is exactly the
> > source of the malware that's grinding their systems to a halt.
>
> Most of my mates would rather accept those consequences than be so
> bound.

Then they are free to keep using MS Windows. If security, stability and
usability are less important than the perceived cost of using a single
interface to install, update, and remove software (rather than Googling
for software, assessing the trustworthiness of hundreds of vendors, and
then actively monitoring their Web sites for updates), they might have
already found their home.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/