[plug] Linux Desktop Market

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Wed Oct 26 16:04:35 WST 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:50, Kirk Turner wrote:

> I think one example of this is that nvidia dumped using a package
> manager and created their own installer. From what I can see they are
> estentially doing something like autopackage does. Now nvidia allows
> repackaging of these builds, so that the distros can do the hard yards
> and do the packaging themselves, but I know not every license
> agreement would allow this (java comes to mind). And for proprietry
> products this would also be an issue. Should it achieve what it is
> suggesting (be able to use dpkg or rpm to gain dependencies) I would
> see this as a very viable method of centralising your package
> management for packages coming from something that wont be part of the
> distro's repository.

Grrr.  I just spent most of my afternoon attempting to unsuccessfully convince
the NVIDIA installer that kernel.h-2.6.12-12.mm.1mdk was made with
kernel-source 2.6. I miss the rpms.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

We all like praise, but a hike in our pay is the best kind of ways.

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/