[plug] Time to replace palm m130?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Oct 26 17:00:01 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 16:50, Brad Campbell wrote:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > cut&pasted Quote: "We understand from your email that the ‘P’ key on the
> > Treo 650 keyboard is stuck. We have not encountered any known issues
> > regarding the Treo 650 keyboard.
> >

> >         With regards to the problem, a stuck button or any button
> >         problem is considered an out of warranty case; therefore, there
> >         will be charges to process the unit for servicing."
> >
> > Its ~6 months old, with the problem starting at the ~3 month mark.
> > Despite Palm's denial, google says otherwise about keyboard issues!
> > Palm has a bit of reputation for doing this that I thought was just
> > individual sour grapes - but personnel experience is tending to support
> > the fact that this is an intentional practice (the denial that is)
> >

> The local dealer here just swaps the device straight out..
> They are exchanging 30-50 Treo 600 and 25 Treo 650 per WEEK!
> I was going to buy a 650 till I found out how bad Palm hardware actually is.

I would have to disagree with you. The m130 has never missed a beat and
is very solid and I have probably dropped it about 50 times since I
bought it over 2 years and its only now just broken. I still think it
can be repaired and will try to do so later. Then I will either keep it
as a spare or give it to another tech who currently has no PDA.

The Z22 is a very solid device and I'm (now) glad that I bought it. I'm
using the included MobileDB flat file database app to keep my customer
details instead of the messy notes based system I was using before.

It does actually have infrared but I didn't realise it before.

regards,

Chris