[plug] Good desktop UPS for Linux with graceful shutdown

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Oct 26 18:21:49 WST 2005

Hello,

Just had the power go out when I was deep in my work.

I need a UPS that would allow about 30 seconds (it usually only goes off
for about a second or so here) worth of power to a Linux machine with a
450w PSU, a XP Machine with a 350w PSU that usually sits on hibernate
and a 17" CRT monitor.

I also want to graceful shutdown the Linux box in case it happens when I
am out of the room.

Is there Linux support for USB based UPS's like the
MGE Pulsar Ellipse 800U?

If not can you still buy serial UPS's new?

thanks,

Chris