[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 27 10:57:58 WST 2005

Mr Shayne wrote:

> Well, If someone is encouraging people to install software via tarballs
> or non .deb schemes on a debian system, its plainly bad advice. It means
> that the packager doesnt understand the file system anymore, and cant
> make "informed" decisions about dependancy management. Its a recipe for
> tears later down the track.

To an extent, yes, in that if you upgrade the Debian system it might
upgrade libraries to versions that won't work with the software you
compiled, breaking that software.

It won't hurt the rest of your system, though, and no harm is done; I
fail to see how it's really an issue.

After all, if they've installed a .deb version of a package directly
(rather than from a repository) and Debian can't find an upgrade, it'll
just refuse to upgrade it. It'll probably also offer to remove it when
you dist-upgrade so it can upgrade the libraries the package depends on.
Anybody who's used third-party KDE builds for Debian knows what I'm
talking about ;-)

Personally, I'd go absolutely nuts if any distro forced me to install
everything through its package management scheme. I frequently need to
do test builds, or bundle up a newer version of some software with a
couple of libraries I don't want the rest of the system to be affected
by (such as a BDB 4 with different configure options). Similarly, I
sometimes want to use konstruct or a similar tool to build and maintain
a current or CVS version of a major suite of apps I don't want to risk
messing up my main system with. Being unable to isolate this sort of
work would be infuriating - I actively don't want the package manager to
know about what I'm doing.

To me, the only really dumb thing is to configure an app you're
installing manually to install into the /usr tree. /opt or /usr/local
are there for a reason, and it's often not a great idea to be treading
all over the package manager's domain. It might well overwrite some of
the files you've installed later - but often not all - causing all sorts
of special fun down the track.

--
Craig Ringer