[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Thu Oct 27 12:18:16 WST 2005

Thursday, 27 October 2005 10:57, Craig Ringer wrote:
> To me, the only really dumb thing is to configure an app you're
> installing manually to install into the /usr tree. /opt or /usr/local
> are there for a reason, and it's often not a great idea to be
> treading all over the package manager's domain. It might well
> overwrite some of the files you've installed later - but often not
> all - causing all sorts of special fun down the track.

Not every installation script readily lets you avoid clobbering the
package manager's part of the filesystem, though. Sun's JVM is
notorious for having to be installed in a chroot jail because it puts
things where it doesn't belong, for example.

/opt is not completely safe, either. Package managers are allowed to
install here according to the FHS, but must not overwrite manually
installed files. While installing files manually, you're on your own to
ensure you don't overwrite anything you shouldn't. Yet another reason
the /opt tree is a Bad Idea, but don't get me started on that.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/