[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Thu Oct 27 12:45:19 WST 2005

Thursday, 27 October 2005 12:32, simon wrote:
> What is the idea behind /opt?
>
> I cant see any reason for having it, isnt that what /usr/local is
> for?

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.12.html

/usr/local is still subdivided into /usr/local/bin, usr/local/share, and
so on just like in the regular directory tree, whereas /opt, apparently
a System V legacy concept, mandates a structure such that all files
pertaining to a (usually manually installed) package reside
in /opt/<package>.

In other words, /opt does not separate static and dynamic files or
configuration and executable files. This is, as stated, a Bad Idea.
There is a reason even Microsoft is moving away from the approach of
putting everything in C:\PROGRA~1\PACKAGE to generally sticking only
static data there and keeping dynamic data in the Application Data
folder or whatever the they call it these days.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/