[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 27 16:08:40 WST 2005

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

> There is a reason even Microsoft is moving away from the approach of
> putting everything in C:\PROGRA~1\PACKAGE to generally sticking only
> static data there and keeping dynamic data in the Application Data
> folder or whatever the they call it these days.

Yep. Alas, MS are having a hard time of convincing app developers to
follow suit. After all, all users can write to most of the filesystem,
so why bother with this silly separation of static and configuration
data, right? *sigh*.

Don't even start me on registry permissions.

I want to hug whoever decided on "least privelege" as a core concept for
UNIX user management.

--
Craig Ringer