[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Oct 28 06:10:53 WST 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 21:23, John Knight wrote:
> It's all as simpe as that then?

Install rpm-build, use this script to set up the RPM tree in your home
dir:

    http://mandrake.cyberknights.com.au/setup4rpm.sh

Now source RPMs are (usually) as easy as:

    rpm -ivh blah.src.rpm
    cd rpm/SPEC
    rpm -bb blah.spec

If you are doing lots of them, install rpmproc. If you are RPMming PERL
scripts, use cpan2rpm. For more detailed instructions, install the
mdk-rpm-howto (which comes with 2006.0 and I've made available here:
http://mdk-rpm-howto.cyberknights.com.au/) and read that. Lots of good
instruction for the general case in there, too. There are also packages
kicking around which semi-automate .spec file generation as a general
case (unlike cpan2rpm which already has the input in a standard form,
so can completely automate it).

I'd be startled if making Debian packages were any harder.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia