[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:24:01 WST 2005

Just to completely break the discussion, and get back to the original-ish idea:

<random-idea class="crazy" total="2">
Couldn't someone come up with a package format that includes the files
to install, and headers for RPM/deb/slackware/etc/etc/etc/. Then the
script puts together the relevant archive, and passes it off to the
package management system.

For example, say I'm packaging neuronstorm (neuronstorm.sf.net). It's
got files that should go to /usr/bin, /usr/share/neuronstorm/,
man1/neuronstorm.1, info somewhere, and /usr/share/doc/neuronstorm.
That's (hopefully) the same everywhere, and, for distros that require
things in different places, ther relevent control files could be set
up differently.

So, if I'm installing on Debian, it would just pull out the
debian/control, put the archive together, and send it off to dpkg.
Mdk/FC/RH - pull out the spec file, put the archive together, send it
to RPM, etc.

Or, just have a tiny package file that downloads and installs the
relevant package from sourceforge/website-of-your-choice: autopackage
needs a web connection most of the time anyway - that's simple, quick
and compatible with your package system of choice.
</random-idea>

Now, back to the ways to automate making a package....

Daniel Axtens

--
My sig! What's happened to my sig? Noooooo.......