[plug] Linux Desktop Market

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Oct 28 11:55:21 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 01:54 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> John Knight wrote:
>
> > The native tools vary between distros though. A new user has to learn
> > the ins and outs of every distro in order to exactly the same thing.
> > Native distro integration is possible, but is entriely in the hands of
> > distros themselves. SuSE are showing some interest....
>
> Yep. To me, this is where the real issue lies. I don't personally care
> what automatic dependency resolution tool they pick, what package
> management tool is used, what GUI is layered over it, what package
> format is used, etc - I just want the same damn one everywhere.

It seems that "apt" is available for many of the RPM distros now - in
fact I have installed it and am using it under SUSE - the nice thing is
it works with the RPM repository, and so doesn't interfere with YAST if
you want to keep using both. Synaptic can be installed as well.

So it is getting better.
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Linux Counter user #306629